Sunday, September 20, 2009

Slow-Cooked Tuscan Chicken


I absolutely love Williams-Sonoma. I read the catalog each month like it's a favorite magazine. The latest issue has some of their new sauces for the Fall so I grabbed this Tuscan Slow Cooking Sauce to try (recommended for beef, pork or chicken). The sauce is made with natural ingredients, including savory beef stock, Chianti wine, California sun-dried tomatoes and Italian herbs. The meat is simmered in the sauce for a few hours to achieve the rich, Tuscan flavor.

It really couldn't be easier. There is a recipe on the side of the jar for country-style short ribs, but I decided to try chicken instead. Since it didn't say how to prepare the chicken, I just cross-checked the instructions for Coq au Vin from the Williams-Sonoma Slow Cooking Cookbook (which I happened to have) figuring it had to be pretty similar, and made it up from there.

Buy about 4 lbs. of chicken thighs (they're the more juicy, but I suppose you can try making it leaner with white meat), brown them skin-side down with some butter in a fry pan for about 5-8 minutes (again, you could try olive oil or canola oil, I bet), then put them in a Crock-pot and pour the sauce right over the chicken (or the oven is also recommended). Cook on high for 4 1/2 hours or so and serve with egg noodles or polenta (I chose polenta.) I do suggest adding some salt either during the cooking process or when you serve. The meat will fall right off the bone (though, be sure to remind everyone to watch for the bones when you serve.) Feeds about 6 hungry people.

No comments:

Post a Comment