Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sauternes

Sauternes [pronounced "saw-turn"] is a French dessert wine from the Bordeaux region that I call "Liquid Gold". This stuff is just heaven to drink. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend getting a glass if you ever see it on the dessert menu in a restaurant. We always keep a small stock in our house for entertaining friends - it's a great way to end a wonderful meal.

I first had Sauternes with some sauteed Foie Gras - a classic match (this was the first time I had foie gras as well) at a restaurant called Chapeau in San Francisco many years ago. It has a smooth honey flavor with some peach and apricot notes. I think it's also great with some intense cheeses (like blue or roquefort) as well for dessert.

It can be pretty pricy, but since you serve just small portions of this, a half-bottle is enough for a table of 4-6. But, don't cheap-out. Good Sauternes is totally worth the investment (I don't recommend buying the half-bottles under $48-50, and look for ones that have a nice deep golden color). Be sure to serve it chilled. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment